Ep4 ~ How to tell your children about your separation and supporting them in the days ahead
I know that so many parents don’t want to do it, but it’s so important to sit down with your children and have “the separation talk”.
This is a very practical episode – a list of dos and don'ts - based on my guest’s deep knowledge of child and adolescent development.
You’ll hear my guest, Dr Rachael Sharman, PhD, talk about:
- Why this conversation is so necessary
- What all children need to hear, as well as what information is appropriate at different ages
- How to answers some of the questions your children may ask
- Being prepared for a wide range of reactions and possible pushback, particularly from teenagers
- The importance of checking in with your children after the talk, more than once, to make sure they have absorbed what you’ve told them
- How you can support children in the days immediately after the talk and in the longer term…